Heads up, expectant mamas and papas in Williamsburg! Our local childbirth educators will be offering a wonderful variety of classes this fall, starting as early as this weekend!
Classes range from 1-day, 2-day, and multi-week group classes great for first-time parents to 1-day private classes perfect for experienced parents wishing to brush up on birth skills before their next little one arrives.
With so many great options — Lamaze, Baby Welcomer, Hypnobirthing, Natural Childbirth in a Day, Natural Childbirth Education with Bettie Sheets, Labor Comfort Measures and Early Pregnancy Education and more with Birth Journeys – you’re sure to find the class that is perfect for you and your birth partner!
- Instructors - Lori Hill, Lamaze contact/registrar for Williamsburg; LCCE, CD(DONA); Mary Drew, RN, LCCE; and Linda Pincus, RN, IBCLC, FACCE.
- Learn about the Lamaze teaching philosophy at their website and this Lamaze profile at Williamsburg Mothering.
- Classes - For course descriptions, see here.
- Class Location – Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center, although the educators are NOT employed or managed by the hospital. Students planning hospital, birth center, and home births are welcome in Lamaze classes.
- 1-Day Lamaze-Inspired Class - $100 per couple; Saturday 10/15 from 9AM-4PM or Saturday 12/10 from 9AM-4PM
- 6-Week Lamaze Class - $90 per couple for the series; Sundays 9/18-10/23 from 7PM-9PM; Tuesdays 10/25-11/29 from 7PM-9PM; Sundays 11/13-12/18 from 7PM-9PM
- Private Class – $150-$200; 2-4 sessions, 8-10 hours total instruction, scheduled at a time mutually convenient for you and the educator
- To register, contact Lori at 757-220-8128, email@example.com, or www.birth-daywishes.com.
BABY WELCOMER CLASSES (BRADLEY-INSPIRED) Instructor – Cecilia Chapa Phillips, B.A., M.Ed., Certified Spanish Bilingual Instructor, trained in the Bradley Method® (no longer Bradley-affiliated), Certified Pre-Natal MaYoga Instructor, Certified Next Generation Yoga for Children Instructor, training with ToLabor to become a professional certified doula. Learn about Cecilia’s teaching philosophy and read course descriptions at Cecilia’s website, Thumbtack profile, and this profile at Williamsburg Mothering. Class Location – Virginia Regional Ballet in Williamsburg, VA 9-Week Class – $325; 9 3-hour classes; Saturdays 9/10-10/29 from 2:00-5:00 PM. 1-Day Class - Contact Ceci for pricing; 2-3 hour Whole-House Labor Rehearsal Private Class – Contact Ceci for pricing; 8 2-hour classes, scheduled at a time mutually convenient for you and Cecilia To register, contact Cecilia at 917.568.1618 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
HYPNOBIRTHING CLASSES and NATURAL CHILDBIRTH IN A DAY
- Instructor – Bridget Pelkey Bragg, CPM (Certified Professional Midwife), LM (Licensed Midwife), HBCE (Hypnobirthing Childbirth Educator), CPR, NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation), CIMI (Certified Infant Massage Instructor), CD(CBI) Certified Doula from Childbirth International, LC (Lactation Consultant)
- Learn about Bridget’s teaching philosophy and read course descriptions at her website (Hypnobirthing here and Natural Childbirth in a Day here) and at this profile at Williamsburg Mothering.
- Class Location – Varies; Bridget’s home in Gloucester or home of student(s)
- 1-Day Natural Childbirth in a Day – $75, 3-6 hours; dates/times TBD/on demand
- 5-Week Hypnobirthing Class – $250, 50% off if you host a class; dates/times TBD/on demand
- Private Class – Both Hypnobirthing and Natural Childbirth in a Day are offered as private classes.
- To register, contact Bridget at 804.210.1397 or email@example.com.
NATURAL CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION WITH BETTIE SHEETS, CPM
- Instructor - Bettie Sheets, CPM (Certified Professional Midwife), LM (Licensed Midwife), Certified Labor Doula, Certified Childbirth Educator, La Leche League Leader.
- Learn more about Bettie’s teaching philosophy at her Facebook page. For more about Bettie, also see her website and this profile of her home birth services at Williamsburg Mothering.
- Class Location – Curves Building, 6253 Buckley Hall Rd, Cobbs Creek, VA 23128
- 2-Day Class – $50, 2 4-hr classes on 2 consecutive Sundays; dates/times TBD
- To register, contact Bettie at 804.832.1439 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
LABOR COMFORT MEASURES CLASSES, EARLY PREGNANCY CLASSES, AND CHILDBIRTH EDUCATION CLASSES WITH BIRTH JOURNEYS
- Instructors – Jacqueline Starkey, RN, CD(DONA), LCCE, CCCE; Leslie Cuffee, CD(DONA), CCE (trained), HCHD; and Christina Birdsong, CD(DONA), CCCE, CMT. For more about them, see here.
- Learn about the Birth Journeys teaching philosophy at their website.
- For course descriptions, see here.
- Class Location – Maryview Medical Center, Conference Room B, Portsmouth, VA
- 1-Day Labor Comfort Measures Class – $45 for 2 people; 3rd Sunday of every month (9/18, 10/16, 11/20, 12/18) from 1:30-4:30 PM.
- 1-Day Early Pregnancy Class – $20; dates/time TBD/on demand
- 6-Week Childbirth Education Class – $150; dates/time TBD/on demand
- To register, call 757.256.9476 or register online.