Another roundup of links that first appeared on Williamsburg Mothering’s Facebook page – “LIKE” Williamsburg Mothering on Facebook to get the latest links as soon as they’re up!
- When Sexual Abuse Survivors Breastfeed (PODCAST). For women who have experienced sexual abuse or assault, breastfeeding can sometimes stir complex emotions, pose unique challenges, or require special mental or logistical preparation. This excellent podcast interview with Penny Simkin (author of When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on Childbearing Women) offers advice, understanding, and resources for abuse survivors and their caregivers. (Motherwear; via local doula Leslie Cuffee)
- Positive Birth Videos. Looking for a really fantastic collection of videos of positive natural birth? Here you go! I love this site, which includes videos of birth in and out of water; birth at home and at birth centers; and a vaginal breech birth! (Your Birth Coach)
- A Woman’s Guide to VBAC. If you are considering a vaginal birth after cesarean (VBAC), A Woman’s Guide to VBAC is a fantastic resource! This article contains links to all the chapters online and explains NIH’s consensus statement on VBAC (i.e., that it is a reasonable option for most mothers with a previous C-section). Also, here (http://tinyurl.com/7v2ofxn) is a link to birth statistics at VA hospitals — MCV/VCU in Richmond and DePaul in Norfolk have the highest local VBAC success rates! (Giving Birth With Confidence)
- What To Reject When You’re Expecting. Have you seen this post yet? It has been rocketing around the social media sites, and for very good reason — ever-reliable Consumer Reports is spot-on with its well-researched list of 10 pregnancy procedures to avoid, 10 things to do during pregnancy, and 5 things to do pre-conception. SO GOOD. (Consumer Reports)
- Most Common Birthdays: Infographic Shows Number Of Babies Born On Every Day Of The Year. How common are your kids’ birthdays? September 16th is the most common, at least in the U.S. (in Europe, for example, springtime is the most popular time to give birth). Fun! (Huffington Post and Gawker)