“Like” Williamsburg Mothering on Facebook to get the latest links as soon as they’re up!
And now without further ado, the links!
Links for Thought
- How do epidurals, IV fluids, C-sections, and pitocin affect breastfeeding? Linda Smith, author of Impact of Birthing Practices on Breastfeeding, tells us! EXCELLENT. (Motherwear)
- Getting Started with EC: The When and How of Elimination Communication. We part-time EC with B, and rarely have to change a poopy diaper these days! It is HEAVEN. (Diaper Free Baby)
- Maternal separation stresses baby, research finds. Separation from mother is a significant source of stress for a newborn baby. Skin-to-skin contact with mama immediately after birth is what doctors should be ordering. (ScienceDaily)
- LactMed. Check on the safety of drugs, supplements, and herbs during breastfeeding with this online NIH database. Available as an app for iPhone/Android, too!
New Postpartum Resources. Williamsburg Mothering did a special weeklong focus on postpartum mood issues on Facebook in the leadup to the launch of our new Resource Guide to Postpartum Depression, Anxiety, OCD, and PTSD.
- The Symptoms of Postpartum Depression and Anxiety (in Plain Mama English). Forget quizzes. This descriptive list will help you understand whether what you are feeling is PPD or PPA. (Postpartum Progress)
- 5 Damaging Myths About Postpartum Depression. Myth 1: Women with PPD are sad and cry constantly. Myth 2: PPD occurs within the first few months of childbirth. Myth 3. PPD will go away on its own… (PsychCentral)
- Depression in Pregnant Women and New Mothers. A collection of first-rate, cutting-edge articles by Kathleen Kendall-Tackett, PhD, IBCLC. Particularly great are the handouts on non-pharmaceutical and pharmaceutical treatments for postpartum mood disorders.
- Postpartum Depression, Breastfeeding, and Why You Need Your Omega-3s. Both breastfeeding and formula-feeding mothers will benefit from this must-listen podcast! Omega-3s are essential to emotional health but are under-consumed in the typical American diet and are depleted during pregnancy. (Motherwear)
Local News and Events
- Lowest C-Section Rate: Bon Secours DePaul Leads the Region. Wow! DePaul Medical Center in Norfolk has the highest VBAC success rate (91% success!) and lowest C-section rate (14.25%) in the state! How do they do it? Midwives!! (757 Good Health Blog)
- Magic Hour Gives New Parents Bonding Time with Baby. Bon Secours hospitals recently instituted a “Magic Hour” policy of immediate skin-to-skin bonding time for babies and their parents in the first hour after birth, for both vaginal and C-section deliveries! It would be wonderful to see Sentara follow suit! (The Daily Press)
- Meet the Doulas Night (Mon 2/13, 6:30 PM, JCC Library, 7770 Croaker Rd, Williamsburg). Meet many of our local doulas and learn about how the support they provide can make a your labor more comfortable, shorter, and less likely to require intervention!
- Free Healthy Pregnancy Class (Sat 2/4,10:30 AM, Williamsburg Regional Library, downtown Williamsburg). Two hours. Learn about nutrition, pregnancy exercises, interventions, your options, birth partners, stages of birth, and more.
- Pregnancy Loss Circle (Thu 2/16, 7:00 PM, Gloucester Courthouse). A safe, supportive environment to talk about loss during pregnancy, birth, or postpartum.
- To Circumcise or Not? Make an Informed Decision! (Sat 2/25, 2:00 PM, Yorktown). Information session led by a nurse. Sponsored by Hampton Roads chapter of the National Organization of Circumcision Information Resource Centers.