Williamsburg Breastfeeding Support Group
- FREE Breastfeeding Support Group at Sentara Williamsburg with Kris Kiley, RN, IBCLC – Open to all mothers, regardless of where they deliver (hospital, birth center, home); Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, 10 AM, 757.984.7299.
Other Local Breastfeeding Support Groups
- Breastfeeding Mamas – Meetings in Newport News and Norfolk
- La Leche League - Meetings in Great Bridge, Norfolk, Yorktown, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach.
- New LLL Group also forming for New Kent/Williamsburg, 3rd Tuesday of each month, 6:30 PM, Heritage Public Library, 6215 Chesapeake Circle, New Kent. Leader: Shannon Wigley, 443-350-7891, email@example.com.
- Breastfeeding Support Group at Riverside Regional Medical Center in Newport News staffed by IBCLCs. First and third Tuesdays of the month, 11:30AM, 2nd floor. Baby weight checks; snack provided; older children welcome.
Other Breastfeeding Professionals
- Linda Pincus, Lactation Consultant (RN, FACCE, IBCLC), 757.565.6156, firstname.lastname@example.org – Breastfeeding counseling and hospital-grade electric breastpump rental/sales. (Williamsburg)
- Angela Burton, Lactation Consultant (IBCLC), 757.876.5144. (Yorktown)
- Dominique Gallo, Lactation Consultant (IBCLC, RLC) of Chocolate Milk Kisses Lactation Services, 757.753.0483 CMilkKisses@gmail.com, Facebook. (Newport News)
- Miranda Galliani, Lactation Consultant (CLC, ALC), of Breathe Easy: Doula, Lactation, and Education Services, 757.303.6928, email@example.com, Facebook. (Newport News)
- Stacy Kucharczk, Lactation Consultant (MSN, RN, CPNP, IBCLC), of BestFeeding Lactation Services, 757.944.1234, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook – Classes, counseling, and consultations. (Chesapeake)
- Jacqueline Starkey, Lactation Consultant, Doula and Childbirth Educator (RN, IBCLC, CD(DONA), LCCE, FACCE), of Birthjourneys Childbirth Education and Doula Care, 757.615.2933, email@example.com, Facebook, offers a private 2-hour Breastfeeding Beginnings class. (Chesapeake)
- Kay McKee, Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) 757.717.2054. (Chesapeake)
- Lillian Davis (IBCLC) and Liz Flight (RN, IBCLC), Lactation Consultants, of Tidewater Lactation Group, 757.422.5502, firstname.lastname@example.org, Facebook, offer personal and business lactation consultations, classes, breast pump rental and supplies. (Virginia Beach)
Tongue Tie Resources
- Tongue Tie Babies Support Group – A closed Facebook group for breastfeeding mothers whose babies have tongue and lip ties
- Local Clip/Snip Tongue Tie Revisions – Dr. Michael Jacobson of Hampton Roads ENT (Williamsburg)
- Local Laser Tongue Tie Revisions – Dr. Ray Lee of Oyster Point Oral and Facial Surgery (Newport News)
- Post-Revision Craniosacral/Energy Work/Chiropractic in Williamsburg: David R. Herring of Innovative Pain Release Center (craniosacral), Deb Mazanek of Renaissance Integrative Therapy (energy work), Walsh Family Chiropractic (chiropractic)
Nursing Bras – Professional Fittings
- Gloria Thai, owner of online store For Mom and Keiki, is located in Yorktown and is happy to meet with local mothers for bra fittings and sales. She sells Bravado bras and numerous other breastfeeding and natural parenting supplies. (Yorktown)
- Lactation Store at Chesapeake Regional Medical Center (Chesapeake) - Lactation consultations and professional nursing bra fittings by appointment; sale and rental of Medela breast pumps and pumping supplies; maternity/nursing clothing; breastfeeding classes, books, and videos.
Sentara Williamsburg Regional Medical Center offers the following:
- Hospital-grade breast pump rentals (one-time $45 charge for parts and monthly $40 charge for rental; pick up on 3rd floor of hospital) and sale of consumer-grade Hygeia breast pumps. Call Carrie Hewlett at 757.984.7490 for more information.
- Breastfeeding class (free to those who deliver at Sentara; one Thursday per month, 757.259.4233 to register)
- Breastfeeding information line (free to those who deliver at Sentara: 757.984.7299, 7 days a week, 9 AM-6 PM)
- Home health lactation visits (may be covered by insurance; 757.549.7755)
Breastmilk Donation and Breastmilk Sharing
- Human Milk 4 Human Babies Virginia – Breastmilk sharing coordinated via Facebook! Enables mothers/babies in need to find breastmilk donors directly, rather than through a milk bank. No buying or selling of breastmilk allowed.
- The King’s Daughters Donor Milk Bank at CHKD – Will begin accepting donations in summer 2014; see link for instructions on donating prior to that time.
Best Online Breastfeeding Resources
- KellyMom.com – Written by Kelly Bonyata, IBCLC. My favorite site for evidence-based breastfeeding advice!
- Jack Newman’s Breastfeeding Inc. – Excellent informational articles and how-to videos.
- LactMed: Drugs and Lactation Database (website and free iPhone app) – Research which drugs, herbs, and supplements are safe for breastfeeding.
- Breastfeeding Mamas Facebook Group (and website) – A closed Facebook group for breastfeeding mothers in Hampton Roads, moderated by local IBCLCs and breastfeeding-knowledgeable mothers.
- Breastmilk for Preemies - A Facebook page/community providing breastfeeding support to mothers of premature babies
Best Breastfeeding Books
- The Ultimate Breastfeeding Book of Answers by Jack Newman, MD, and Teresa Pitman
- The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by Diane Wiessinger, Diana West, and Teresa Pitman
- Breastfeeding Made Simple by Nancy Mohrbacher and Kathleen Kendall-Tackett
- The Breastfeeding Mother’s Guide to Making More Milk by Diana West and Lisa Marasco
- Dr. Jen’s Guide to Breastfeeding by Dr. Jennifer Thomas (MD, IBCLC) and Lisa Holewa
Best Breastfeeding Video
Return to The Williamsburg List of local pregnancy, birth, and mothering resources!